Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Spanking the dirty bird

Dang, I was amazed at what I saw during that game. Who were those guys out there? Surely not our beloved Honolulu Blue and Silver. But there they were, making Mike Vick look like a QB playing in only his 5th game in the WCO. Oh yeah, I forgot – he is. Guess with all the hyperbole around him that it was completely lost in the fact that if you can stop him from running that he's still a very inexperienced QB in that offense.

There were a lot of good things to see in that game, and a few bad ones. I'll list the bad first, since it's a shorter list for once…

1) R.O.Y. got hurt. This is not good. Thankfully, it appears he may not miss a game, even if he is slowed against Green Bay. The offense looked a little lost without him in there.

2) The O-Line again wasn't getting the kind of push I'd expect. If I was an opposing D-Coordinator, I'd put my fastest pass rushing end on Backus, stunt in the middle, and have a field day hitting Joey. Backus got beat at least 3 times by a speed-rush move. Raiola can't seem to figure out who to block when there's any kind of a twist. That needs to improve.

That's it for the bad. It's nice to have that part of the list be that short. Now here's the good…

1) Where did that pass rush come from? And where did Alex Lewis come from? (don't answer "Wisconsin" or I'll have to slap you) Seriously, if our defense plays like that every game, we'll have an excellent chance of winning every week. All that without two of our best players in Bly and Bailey. Just to think of how good it will be when they get back…

2) Toose is a hammer in between the tackles. He looked solid going up and pushing the line to get the hard yards. Too bad he got met in the backfield so many times…

3) Joey was SHARP. 9-10 in the first half for 98 yards and a score. He cooled off in the second after R.O.Y. was hurt. Let's pray that R.O.Y. doesn't miss any time.

4) The play calling FINALLY seemed to get over being too conservative. If we hadn't had so many penalties, we likely would have scored at least 2 more times. Of course I'm not sure about the Run-pass ratio as it seemed that we ran a few too many times, but I can't complain about the results.

Well, it's time to wait for Green Bay to come in here. After the performance on Monday Night, I'm thinking that the Pack should be easy fodder. Of course in years past, that's when the Lions really stink up the joint. Hopefully R.O.Y. and KJ will be back, and we can tear up that sieve of a D for a big game. I'm keeping my fingers crossed…

No comments: